Thank you letters were non-optional in my house growing up. It was a good lesson in practicing gratitude for the kindness of others. Nowadays my gratitude seems to be more along the lines of Jimmy Fallon’s Thank-You Notes.
- Thank you, Multiple Drivers, for cutting me off, when you can clearly see I’m mid-turn.
- Thank you, Poorly Constructed Roads, for potholes requiring monthly tire repair.
- Thank you, Fly, for laying eggs inside my dog’s skin that hatched into full-on worms.
- Thank you, Taxi Driver, for zooming ahead on the left into oncoming traffic to make a right-hand turn in front of me before the light turns green.
- Thank you, Woolly or Bear, for urinating inside again.
- Thank you, Power Company, for cutting off power for twelve hours at a time.
- Thank you, Litterers, for the mountain of debris outside my house.
- Thank you, Charades, for being usual when my limited Spanish fails.
- Thank you, Police, for standing in the middle of the road for random traffic stops while not directing traffic.
- Thank you, Son, for removing every pot, pan and tupperware right before bed.
- Thank you, Tropic of Cancer, for 12 hours of daylight year-round.
- Thank you, Ants, for multiplying and leaving my house scented “Bug Repellent”.
- Thank you, Roof, for leaking in five places in one room, including right over the bed. Good thing rainy season is only six months out of the year.